LINCOLN, Ala. – Honda Manufacturing of Alabama , LLC, has been named the 2006 Alabama Manufacturer of the Year by the Business Council of Alabama, the Alabama Technology Network and the Chamber of Commerce Association of Alabama.
The honor came at an annual recognition ceremony on Wednesday, April 26 to honor Alabama manufacturing enterprises that exhibit excellence in leadership, performance, profitability and work force relations.
“In just five short years, our company has achieved many milestones and enjoyed success in one of the most competitive periods ever faced by the auto industry. Our achievements are based on the foundation of our Alabama associates who have embraced Honda’s commitment to efficiency, creativity and teamwork to achieve the highest work standard in the world,” said Rick Schostek, senior vice president of business operations at HMA. “This honor is accepted as a tribute to the dedication of the 4,500 associates of Honda Manufacturing of Alabama to produce high quality products that exceed the expectations of our customers.”
During 2005, HMA achieved its stated production capacity of 300,000 vehicles and V-6 engines per year, capping a nearly five-year period of initial start-up and expansion. To date, HMA has produced more than 850,000 vehicles and V-6 engines. By the end of 2006, it will produce its 1 millionth Alabama-made vehicle. HMA is responsible for more than 31 percent of Honda’s overall U.S. production and more than 81 percent of Honda’s light truck production.
Other milestones for 2005 include:
- A Top 10 ranking in 2005 U.S. truck sales for the Alabama-built Odyssey minivan, which marked the first such honor for any Honda light truck classification vehicle.
- The successful launch of a refreshed design of the 2006 Honda Pilot sport utility vehicle offering 2-wheel and 4-wheel drive options and Variable Cylinder Management engine technology for improved fuel efficiency.
- Design completion and significant construction progress on a $70 million expansion of ferrous machining operations.
- Certification for ISO 14001 Environmental Management Systems.
- Continued plant-wide operations under the “Zero Landfill” initiative.
- Host of the Honda North America Bloc NH-Circle convention.
- National “Ergo Cup” win by an HMA team of Die-Cast Operations associates.
The Manufacturer of the Year awards are presented in three size categories to ensure the fair recognition of all applicants regardless of the size of their work force. Winning manufacturers are selected by an independent panel of judges who look for demonstrations of superior performance in the areas of customer focus, employee commitment, operational excellence, continuous improvement, profitable growth and investment in training and retraining.
The BCA is a statewide business association representing the interests and concerns of nearly 5,000 Alabama businesses and industries that employ approximately 750,000 Alabamians. Manufacturers comprise the largest single segment of BCA’s membership.
The Alabama Technology Network is a division of the Alabama College System, partnering with the University of Alabama System, Auburn University and the Economic Development Partnership of Alabama. The network operates 14 centers throughout the state to deliver training and technologies to existing industries with the goal of enhancing the global competitiveness of Alabama manufacturers.
$1.27 billion facility in Lincoln is the exclusive global production source for the Odyssey minivan. The facility also produces the Honda Pilot sport utility vehicle and builds the 3.5 liter V-6 engines that power both products.